Sociopath....or just really smart and frustrated?

Laz

Sociopath....or just really smart and frustrated?

Laz
Hey guys.  I am a fairly succesful musician and tattoo artist, who recently was called a sociopath by several people in different scenarios, one of them being a social worker/psychology Master's student.  She claims that due to :

-my irresponsibility with financial obligations
-my need to always be reading/writing/drawing/watching/playing something
-being 30 yrs old and still loving comic books
-having a "nothing is sacred" sense of humor
-despising any pseudo-science or religious buffoonery

That I am a sociopath.

I beg to differ...

See, most of the above can also fall under the category of someone with above average intelligence who isn't dumb enough to be stupefied by the week's episode of Jersey Shore or Two And A Half Men.  Anyone who is creative at heart gets bored easily by our rigid, 9 to 5 structured world.  This doesn't mean that they are Sociopaths.

Who really wants to be a "normal" society member when "normal" in the USA means being a McDonald's slamming, Sports Obsessed, Television hypnotized, Media Manipulated sheep.

I don't beleive in any of the institutional bullshit they espouse, so I'm a "sociopath"?

If the "society" is broken, isn't the "sociopath" an optimal individual?

Re: Sociopath....or just really smart and frustrated?

Re: Sociopath....or just really smart and frustrated?

JRochette
Yes you are a socio. You will murder people everyday for the rest of your life. Give me a break, why does everyone ask a bunch of socios over the internet their mental status? We are not psychologists. We cannot "smell" the sociopathy from miles away while over an electronic device.

-my irresponsibility with financial obligations 1pt

-my need to always be reading/writing/drawing/watching/playing something  .5pt (this happens to alot of people)

-being 30 yrs old and still loving comic books 0pt while I am a fan of comics in no way is it part of my pathology in terms of sociopathy

-having a "nothing is sacred" sense of humor .5pt

-despising any pseudo-science or religious buffoonery 0pt that doesn't make you a socio, that makes you a somewhat informed person.

Do you present any of the traits on the PCLR? Do you have a low rule following ability? Impulsive nature? You have given us virtually nothing to work with. You give no insight to the reasons you do the things you mentioned.

Personally as it stands right now I do not hold you to be a socio. In your first sentence you show a need to show status (job title) but it wasn't to brag (fairly successful instead of great). I would suggest that this possibly means  slight insecurity. Personally I have no insecurities other than planned ones for my mirrors.

Your friend that called you a soio should not be getting their masters since they are making bold claims about the mental health status of people they have not analysed and brought in for assessment. This is a complete disregard for mental health practice and I see it as quite unprofessional. If you want to get tested go for it, it is pretty interesting and you learn alot. However, I do not think you will come out as a socio.

Re: Sociopath....or just really smart and frustrated?

JRochette
To add after I read Kaos point.

I agree the nature of your thinking is abnormal by social standards and that could be the reasoning. In my band we have a misanthrope, a case of conduct disorder, and myself (socio). We also have one other member but I have yet to place his mental status. We all have alot of very antisocial ideas because we do not believe society to be run properly. The point is, I am the only socio yet similar interests are found.

Re: Sociopath....or just really smart and frustrated?

Laz

Re: Sociopath....or just really smart and frustrated?

Laz
I wasn't asking for a diagnosis, I was just trying to show that the term "sociopath" seems to be subjective based on a person's upbringing, enviornment, and current social status.  I think human beings are way too nuanced to define based on a "test" that asks a few vague questions about behavior.  And perhaps in our American society, as compared to a more authorotarian/theocratic society like the Middle East, definitions of a sociopath differ, therefore, isn't this labeling ineffective?  Could "sociopaths" the world over be intelligent, bored individuals?

REally, the only reason I came to this site was in reference to my social worker friend and her need to "label" everyone as suffering from some sort of mental disorder.

I sincerely believe that everyday brilliant, eccentric, and creative people are getting misdiagnosed as sociopaths to make them easier to deal with.  Have we already "prozac'ed" the next potential Picasso or Thoreau or Poe, simply because they didn't fir into this cookie cutter obedience we deemed "normalcy"?

Re: Sociopath....or just really smart and frustrated?

JRochette
Ok, I take back my statements of informed individual. Firstly a small test? Therapy since age 7 and then doing a 7 hour multiple choice assessment followed by the PCLR is not a "little test". These tests are built in a specific way to have insight into the pathology of the human mind. Pitfalls are made in order to detect lies (although if you can fool or have the need to it just shows evenmore antisocial behaviour).

Furthermore REAL therapists are extremely reluctant to give the title as it jeopardizes the individuals rights to ever be normal. On top of that it would make no sense to label people with an incurable diagnoses in order to control them. How would it control them if you can't cure it? (logic people come on!). I'm not on any meds, while I have tried them it was determined to be worse in my case, yes it can help some socios but it only helps the secondary effects and not root causes. Therefore Prosac-ing a socio as you call it would have little effect on controlling them. Sociopathy is also not a title given to all those outside the cookie cutter. By definition that is what EVERY mental health title is, therefore there are over 300 ways to be outside the cookie cutter, not just sociopathy.

Re: Sociopath....or just really smart and frustrated?

Oh, You Know
@JR  Don't go telling them zombifying isn't treatment for sociopathy!  I want to stay medicated if I am ever diagnosed.  (Did I tell anyone I am considering getting formal therapy?  I think it would be fun.)

My informal therapist says that I am a very caring person and even brushed off my suggestion that I am "heartless."  The best therapists don't use labels without medical necessity, especially not incurable and "offensive" ones such as sociopath.