Sociopath in Television

Oh, You Know
Someone brought up an interesting point in a previous article; the many depictions of sociopath on television.  So let's discuss all our favorite fictional sociopaths, shall we?

I can't recall the classic Looney Tunes well enough to identify the old Daffy as a sociopath, but has anyone else saw The New Looney Tunes?  Daffy is pure and simple text book sociopath.  He has always been my favorite character growing up as a child, but when I saw they remade the series I had to watch.  He remains my favorite, only now by an even larger margin.

He disowns Porky over some fries that Porky mistook as "for the table" in one episode.  In another he is thrown out of his house by Bugs (Bugs being his enabler in the series), throws a violent fit and says he doesn't need him or anybody, walks around the block then begs for Bugs to let him come back.  In the same episode Bugs gets him a job as a muffin man, and he quickly becomes CEO simply by being a straight-forward ass hole toward the boss; thus earning his respect.  I simply love that show just because of how humorously they depict socios.

I just got done watching the movie Beautiful, which is what caused me to write this article.  It is about a beautiful young woman that loves seducing men and getting her thrills in any form she can get it.  The entire movie is about her seducing this 14 year old boy and feeding him stories about how the guy down the street is a serial killer.

*Spoiler alert*  At the end of the movie (unknown to the audience) she fakes being kidnapped by him by running away from home then calling the boy in a frenzied panic stating that the man kidnapped her for snooping around and is threatening to cut her in half if the boy doesn't go over there immediately.  He goes over with a gun and the man, who is very pissed off by the boy's snooping around throughout the movie and not letting him "move on from his past mistakes", physically confronts the boy when he goes inside their house.  In the struggle, the boy draws the gun and blows the guy's brains out.  The audience presumably cheers because the bad guy is dead.  The boy then, still freaking out and believing the girl is being held somewhere, accidentally shoots the completely innocent girl that lived with him.  He then runs home.  On his way home he finds the girl being questioned by police, having claimed she escaped from the house.  The girl sees the boy across the street soaked in blood and grins evilly.

The ending made me all warm inside.  I was very drawn to her character even when I thought she was just a curious and manipulative little shit, but to find out she was actually doing all of that to get him to murder an innocent family was the icing on the cake.

Dr. House is my role model.  Enough said.

Re: Sociopath in Television

JRochette
I can't normally stand socios depicted in TV. More often than not I find that they seem as though they are a gimmick.

In Dexter: While I don't mind the show as a whole and it has some interesting concepts I find the character of Dexter painfully annoying. He acts so incredably awkward that it makes me wonder if he even knows what mirroring is. I find that he acts more like the stereotypical vampire than he does a socio. He also loves his sister, easily the first character in that show that I would want killed off. Not only is she stupid but I have never heard somebody so boring and overdramatic. She would not still be in my life if I was top notch sociopathic serial killer who never got caught like Dexter is. Furthermore it seems Dexter doesn't use very much manipulation, just killing. This seems odd as it states his incredable intellect. No one would toss away an ability like that so easily and I find it extremely odd that he doesn't screw with more people.

In House: House is funny, not too much to complain about here. He is the opposite to Dexter in a way, using his intellect almost all the time. The only problem I have with the show is that every case is almost the same and that House is a painful "genius sociopath" stereotype.

In Batman: The Joker is undoubtedly a sociopath. He uses a combination of physical and mental control. I find the character annoying though and I'm not a huge fan of clowns (I find them extremely annoying).

Never really noticed it in the Looney Tunes, I will need to re-watch it and see. Right now those are the only examples I can think of. If I think of more I will post them.

Re: Sociopath in Television

Calucifer13
I love Vincent the hitman from Michael Mann´s "Collateral". I think that he is actually one of the best depictions of a sociopath in the whole history of movies. Tom Cruise´s depiction is very balanced and does not show Vincent just as a despicable sociopathic persona, as we are often shown in the movies (in general). Vincent also has his good traits and that makes me care for him. I did not care so much for Max´s character, the cab driver,  as for Vincent. Maybe because Max behaves to Vinc as to a disgusting tick that should be cut off from the society´s skin. We are always treated like that if we dare to reveal our true identity. I guess. My opinion, exclusively. You can have yours :-)

Re: Sociopath in Television

Calucifer13
I think that Dexter is a psychopath, not a sociopath. I know that people often tnd to think that these terms are the same but as far as I have heard, they are not. I never thought of Dexter as of a sociopath.

Re: Sociopath in Television

JRochette
As there is not much evidence separating the 2 path terms and as it stands right now no one can really tell the difference between them as there are varying traits of each. Take me for example, I have all the possitive traits of the psychopath and sociopath and few of the negative traits from each (negative meaning non-beneficial in terms of being a perfect "path").

In terms of Dexter he is most definately a sociopath even if you want to seperate the terms. It is explained in the series that watching his mother die is what gave him his "dark passenger"/ sociopathy. If you go with the seperation of terms it is normally deemed psychopath as nature and sociopath as nurute and therefore Dexter would be a socio.

This was written fast and is a very wattered down explaination that may cause confusion but I have little time at the moment. Hope it clears that up though.

Re: Sociopath in Television

Oh, You Know
@JR The two are very different.  I don't care to go over how very different they are, as I already have in at least two prior articles, but they are different indeed.

Look the same on paper, but that is as far as the similarities go.  I know a psychopath and they are as different as empaths are to us.  Psychopaths are more or less glorified narcs that are confused with sociopaths because neither seem to bend to the will of society.

Actually, if you look through enough sources and base your conclusion on the symptoms most commonly agreed upon for both paths, you will find they are quite different "disorders" that simply have a lot of outward similarities.

Agreed, however, that psychopath tends to be nature dominant, socio nurture dominant.

Re: Sociopath in Television

JRochette
@OYK

Could you provide sourcing? I would like to read the differences as from what I have read thusfar they seem like interchangable terms (and I have seen them used as such in 99% of cases) with very little literature or documentation based on socio and the majority based on psycho. Firthermore from what I have read the consesus seemed to be that psychos were higher functioning than socios (however I would disagree with that point entirely). I am genuinely interested in reading the differences as I have been looking for some time to find where that is layed out as such (I thought it to be redundant to have 2 names for the same disorder and was hoping to find something to definatively clear it up).

Re: Sociopath in Television

JRochette
Also could you tell me the article names where you explained it? I would like to read them if they are still up (I understand why you wouldn't wish to type it again lol).

Re: Sociopath in Television

I got bored looking for the differences between the two (after two sites)... Oh well.

I did read enough (in those two articles) to re-establish that neither of them are intelligently defined by anyone, and we are all forced to learn the differences on our own.  I guess that is kind of the point though.  The differences I found through dozens of sites ultimately blended together because of people incorrectly identifying the disorders.

I recommend typing "sociopathy versus psychopathy" into bing/google and then reading the first 20 articles.  You will notice similar differences listed in most of the sources.  Like anything online, it's about looking through as much random garbage as possible and filtering through to find the consistences.

Someone wise I am going to completely rape the dialogue of once said "lies spread like wildfire, but the truth withstands time."

This link has a pretty good launch pad to get you started on the frequently agreed upon differences.

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/forensic-focus/2010/07/sociopathy-vs-psychopathy/

Re: Sociopath in Television

Medulla
Brooke Alvarez on the Onion News Network.
Will you suck me off now? My intellect isnt free.

Re: Sociopath in Television

Re: Sociopath in Television

Oh, You Know
I forgot about Megan. Love that character.

Re: Sociopath in Television

Re: Sociopath in Television

JRochette
The other day my guitar player mentioned a movie called Hesher. He described the character to me and I really wanted to see it so our vocalist, guitar player and I watched the movie. I was very intrigued by the portrayal of Hesher. I can identify with him alot, although he is much lower functioning than I am.

One of the writters must be a sociopath, I would go as far as to say that the actor is also a socio. The subtle nuances that are portrayed, the manner in which words are spoken, the phrasing, the emotionally blank moments. It is portrayed to near perfection. Even the unsaid reasoning behind why he acts certain ways was visible to me by the way in which the character held himself.

I was quite impressed that the story revolved around a socio doing what he does best. This socio does not enjoy mirroring at all, something very evident in the movie which causes him to be almost amusingly low functioning. He utilizes an unstable family with a young boy to allow him to live with them. He shapes the boy into a tool for his own amusement. He uses the family problems to cause rifts and take advantage. While being low functioning he is still fairly intellegent in many of his endevours. One manipulation scene stuck me as very perfect and so simple. It revolved around a fight the father and the boy had and how Hesher handles it is great fun.

I definately suggest this movie. My friends found my insight into it fantastic as I was predicting his actions before they happened (as I was thinking of what I would be wanting to do in the same situation with no mirrors). Great movie that kept me well entertained through and through.