Determining Pommel and Guard/Grip Weights

Determining Pommel and Guard/Grip Weights

hawrdstrack
Hi,

I have had this question running around in my mind for a while and thought I'd ask for a little help. My question concerns the sizing of the pommel and guard for proper balance of a sword. How do/did Swordsmiths/Cutlers decide on the size of pommels and guards for a sword? I have been playing with the idea of trying a project sword and I am really at a loss on this point. Especially with cast hardware, how is this done? Is it by trial and error?

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.