Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

12

Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

Loki
The title asks it all. I really want to read The Antisocial Personalities by David Lykken, but other than that I'm not sure what books on the subject are actually informative. Given the amount of misinformation on the subject I'd rather not waste my time. Anyone have a recommendation?

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

UKan Wonder
Snakes in suits, without a conscience, mask of sanity, 48 laws of power, art of seduction, 33 strategies of war

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

Michael Martin Plunkett
the bible
i am losing and eaten babies
-old turkish proverb

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

vittoria
Descartes' Error (Damasio) was a good read. It's about emotional processing but treats the subject of low empathy quite well.

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

She Has An Opinion

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

Loki
I've started both Snakes in Suits and Without Conscience. So far Snakes in Suits is more interesting, probably because Hare has had a lot of time to consolidate his ideas.

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

green eyes
I think Dr Stanton Samenow's work is quite interesting.
He actually reminds me a bit of UKan. Sees right through people's pathetic excuses and bullshit and calls them on it.
He deals mostly with criminals and criminal behaviour (so more focused on ASPD), but he does everything to dispel the myths of why psychopaths do what they do. It's not because they were abused, or can't help themselves, etc... They do it because they want to. The excuses are there simply as an attempt to get away with their naughtiness by playing on people's emotions.

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

I just finished Puzzling People by Thomas Sheridan. Is it me, or does he have major unresolved control issues? There's a whole chapter devoted to some kind of illuminati putting chips in all our brains, and how a psychopathic elite is running the whole world.

And apparently, no true sociopath is capable of dreaming. That sounds unlikely to me, does anyone know if this is backed up by research or a solid theory based on any kind of evidence?

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

Alia
I agree with you. Descartes' Error is not really a book about sociopathy, but it deals with related topics and is interesting and informative enough to be well worth a read.

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

Can you recommend any one in particular, Green Eyes? I found several and was wondering which to start with.

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

Johnny Boy
Masks of Sanity is available as a free download here:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/sanity_1.PdF

I also read The Sociopath Next Door.  I'm not sure what others think of it.

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

vittoria
I thought she was a touch hysterical tbh. Her case studies and her assertions about how a normal person should/would feel left me - well - cold.

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

green eyes
One of the things I didn't like about Stout is that she doesn't actually seem to have dealt with many sociopaths herself, just with their 'victims'. People exaggerate and lie to make themselves look and feel better, yet she seems to take their word as the absolute truth and make great assumptions based upon that.
At least Hare and others really did the dirty work, not just listened to a bunch of cry babies whining about how this ever so evil person ruined their life.
Her scare tactics are pretty annoying too. Sociopaths are evil, cold- hearted monsters...she really gets those Buffy the Sociopath Slayer types hot and bothered.

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

green eyes
I would definitely start with 'Inside the Criminal Mind'. I read it a couple of years ago and simply loved it.

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

Francis

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

Fed up
I've read many of them, with the exception of snakes on sanity.  It does't matter.  The rules are "THERE ARE NO RULES". So, don't think you are going to study this stuff and someday understand it.

I'm guilty of this too, I like a safe world where I can study something and peg it.  NOT going to happen.

The point being (AND, there IS a point)... you must cover your bases more with this type, unlike anything that you have every experienced before.

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

Fed up
Sociopath next door is great for the beginner.  but if you are high and dry in a situation with a socio, this lends zero advice...did I say ZERO?  Its merely a 200 page definition of the word "sociopath".  I could have wrote the dang book myself.

Thanks Martha. But we need solutions, not problems.

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

Fed up
Green, sorry I have bad manners, but I just scanned over your stuff.  I agree, stout is weak, hare has substance. He's not messing around.  Martha, doesnt offer a thing to either party (socio or empath), who need another peanut gallery definition?

Off topic again... I went to Amazon to check on Inside the Criminal Mind.  You know how they have the button on the side to Add to Wish List?  Yeah, well there was also a button to Add to Baby Registry.  Is that to prepare expectant parents -- just in case?  ha-ha

Re: Books on Sociopathy Worth Reading

vittoria
Thanks - I'll start there then.

Johnny Boy - thanks for the link to Mask Of Sanity - all I could find on Ebay were slightly foxed first editions for more than I'd be willing to spend.
12